Monday, February 23, 2009

The Reader...good book...glad I didn't go see the movie.

Well, I just got back from a great vacation from Tennessee. I went to visit an old BookSpan (from back when it was Doubleday Book & Music Club) friend, Sheila. I traveled with another friend, and former BookSpan (aka Doubleday Direct) employee, Erika. (All this is irrelevant to my book review, just giving context.)

Anyway, after Madame Bovary, my reading material had dried up, so first thing after getting a sandwich at the airport, I stopped in the bookstore to pick up a good read.

I was drawn to Wally Lamb's book, THE HOUR I FIRST BELIEVED, but thought it was a bit too long for a vacation book (I DO plan to read it at some point).




So, I turned to the paperback bestsellers and there was THE READER by Bernhard Schlink. Two seconds later I was at the counter, making my purchase. Erika said to me, "Don't you just want to see the movie?" and I forgot my exact answer, but I pretty much said, "no."

I finished 80% of the book on the plane. Its a story of a young boy growing up in Europe in the 40's, who encounters this woman and they develop a strange relationship and he falls in love and they become each other's world, until one day she disappears. Years later, they are reunited under the strange circumstances...and the story unfolds from there.




Lots of sex, lots of reading...and that's about it. I am not quite sure how THE READER works as a movie, though I hear it got good reviews, but I think I am pretty happy with just reading the book. I left it in Tennessee with a rating of 3 of 5 stars.



"How was Tennessee," you ask??? Great. I had the best time ever. From the Peabody Hotel, watching the ducks march up a red carpet into a fountain, to Peanut Butter and Banana sandwiches at Graceland, hanging out at Sun Studios, to Fried Chicken at Gus's to a day trip to Nashville, a side trip to Walmart, and the Rock and Roll Hall of fame....it was FANTASTIC. I had lots of laughs with Sheila and Erika. And best of all, now I can check a few more items off my 1001 places to Visit Before You Die to-do list.





And...most important of all, I picked up my latest read...CARELESS LOVE: The unmaking of Elvis Presley.



I found this treasure in Sun Studios. Erika, Sheila and I stopped here right after Graceland. Its the studio where Elvis made his first recording and the home of many other singing greats. We liked the place so much, that after a fantastic tour, we hung out in the gift shop for another 30 minutes or so, and had coffee and ice cream shakes.



I had been searching for an Elvis biography in the shops at Graceland, but couldn't find anything good... While I was waiting for my shake to be made, I found this book and bought it on the spot.




I've been reading this book since I got home from Tennessee last week. The book references many of Elvis's songs and movies, and the best part of technology today is that at a click of a button, I can experience it all. Not only can I see how much weight Elvis gained from movie to movie, but I can hear how beautiful he sang a particular song the author mentioned. The book really comes to life with this extra media support from YouTube. It just takes me a little longer than if I tried to read the book straight through.

Here is my favorite clip of all...I only wish I could see the outtakes...


Dog's Life. - Watch the best video clips here

3 comments:

Erika said...

Nice post! Even nicer trip!!

Erika said...

Elvis does not look very comfortable with the dogs.

Barbara said...

Thanks Erika! You are right about the dogs. It look like he was going to get bit a few times. Why did he feel the need to lift the dog's ears!?!