Saturday, December 27, 2008

My "date" with Obama

So I got stood up on Friday by Brad, my latest eHarmony date, so I picked up Barack Obama (his book that is) and we had a very enjoyable time.



Barack and I walked down memory lane with DREAMS FROM MY FATHER. Let me tell you, this guy worked hard his whole life to make a mark on this world, while still trying to find his place in it. This book is his personal story as a man who never really knew his father. It is the story of his work as a community organizer in Chicago, and then his story of his journey Kenya in his late 20s to meet his family for the first time. All I can say is that he is a very gifted writer, and now more than ever, I know I made the right vote.


I think Barak's journey it is probably a journey that everyone goes through (in one degree or another) in their lives. At some point, I think everyone finds themselves wishing that they had had all the right conversations and asked the important questions before a loved one dies. It is the desire to find out what makes you tick, and how much of this you inherited, and how much is your own nature.

I admire Obama and his writing and found him to be a wonderful Friday Night date, even though I wish it was a romantic dinner with a new love interest...but I'm not bitter.

Anyway. I give this book 4 out of 5 stars. And I am glad this man is going to be our president.

Next book? Not sure. I think I might dig out THE SECRET again. I need some inspiration as we go into 2009.

No comments: