Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Jesus for the Non-Religious

So I met Bishop Spong and his wife at a wonderful lunch. They were absolutely the sweetest people I ever met. I wanted to go home with them and be a part of their family. As we were leaving the restaurant, I told Bishop Spong that I was reading Jesus for the Non-Religious and that so far I get that Jesus was a nice guy. He told me you haven't finished the book yet.




So I finished the book. What I got out of it, is that Jesus was so inspiring and was later, through the writings of the apostles, made into someone who fit into mold of the Jewish scriptures to gain acceptance, understanding and ultimately followers by those in the Jewish faith. Today, in order for Christianity to survive, we have get back to the basics on what Jesus was all about, which is ultimately creating a better humanity.

I enjoyed this book, probably mostly because it helped me understand what Bishop Spong is all about. It was well written and easy to follow. Spong mentions, Elaine Pagels, author of the GNOSTIC GOSPELS. I also read her book BEYOND BELIEF, which looks at the gospel of Thomas, and made me realize that much that I have been exposed to in the Catholic faith is only what the church has decided to share with its followers. I feel that Spongs book does much of the same.



All and all it was an interesting read. Keeps the mind always thinking.
4 of 5 stars.

No comments: