Thursday, November 06, 2008

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle

So I have a story about The Story of Edgar Sawtelle: A Novel by David Wroblewski.

I was walking out of the gym one night, with this NYT Bestseller under my arm and one of the trainers stopped me and said, "Excuse me, can I ask you a question?...What book is that?" And points to the book under my arm. I was caught off guard, one, because I wasn't expecting the question and two, I had a gym towel around my neck under my coat, and I thought he was trying to catch me walking out with it.

Anyway...I started to babble. I don't recall what I said exactly, but I stuttered that it was about a boy that couldn't speak and he has a dog and he trains dogs and that there was a murder.

The trainer looked at me funny and said, "Ooookay...is it good?" I answered, "Yes, yes it is..." and ran out of the gym with my stolen towel (and NO, I don't feel bad...I could put a child through college with the amount of money I spend in that gym. The towels should be embroidered with my name of them!). Anyway, weeks later, I still can't figure out a good way to describe the story.

You know what? I don't know if there is a good way to explain it. NYT describes, "A mute takes refuge with three dogs in the Wisconsin woods after his father’s death. " Is that really that much different than my explaination?

Was it good...yes, very. I give it 4 out of 5 stars. Why don't you read it and explain it yourself.


I am finishing up another book from my book angel Erika, The Archangel Project by C. S. Graham. Strangely enough, like the Broken Window, it deals with the issue of big brother and how you can be tracked by your cell phone and credit cards and travel. My mother and I went to AC this weekend and had a discussion on all you would have to do to truly disappear. I decided, if I have to do so, I'm going to Mexico...Canada's way too cold! Anyway...enjoying the book.




In case you are wondering...here's the latest NYT Bestseller list. Only 3 on my radar.

1 EXTREME MEASURES, by Vince Flynn. (Atria, $27.95.) Mitch Rapp teams up with a C.I.A. colleague to fight a terrorist cell — and the politicians who would rein them in.

2 THE BRASS VERDICT, by Michael Connelly. (Little, Brown, $26.) Harry Bosch and Mickey Haller (the Lincoln lawyer) team up to find a killer.

3 THE LUCKY ONE, by Nicholas Sparks. (Grand Central, $24.99.) A marine returning home sets out to track down the woman whose photo he found in Iraq.

4 BONES, by Jonathan Kellerman. (Ballantine, $27.) The psychologist-detective Alex Delaware is called in when women’s bodies keep turning up in a Los Angeles marsh.

5 THE STORY OF EDGAR SAWTELLE, by David Wroblewski. (Ecco, $25.95.) A mute takes refuge with three dogs in the Wisconsin woods after his father’s death.


6 ROUGH WEATHER, by Robert B. Parker. (Putnam, $26.95.) The Boston private eye Spenser gets involved when a gunman kidnaps the bride from her wedding on a private island.

7 A LION AMONG MEN, by Gregory Maguire. (Morrow, $26.95.) A looming civil war in Oz, seen through the eyes of the Cowardly Lion; Book 3 of the Wicked Years.

8* TESTIMONY, by Anita Shreve. (Little, Brown, $25.99.) A sex scandal at a Vermont prep school is caught on tape.

9 A MOST WANTED MAN, by John le Carré. (Scribner, $28.) Intelligence agencies converge in Hamburg when a young Muslim man with mysterious connections shows up.


10* DARK SUMMER, by Iris Johansen. (St. Martin’s, $26.95.) A veterinarian cares for an injured dog with an amazing secret.

11 ONE FIFTH AVENUE, by Candace Bushnell. (Hyperion, $25.95.) The worlds of gossip, theater and hedge funds have one address in common.

12 THE HOST, by Stephenie Meyer. (Little, Brown, $25.99.) One woman won’t surrender to the aliens that have taken control.

13 HEAT LIGHTNING, by John Sandford. (Putnam, $26.95.) Virgil Flowers investigates murder cases linked by a lemon in the mouth of each victim.

14 MILLENNIUM FALCON, by James Luceno. (Del Rey, $26.) Jacen Solo’s daughter, Allana, discovers a curious device aboard her grandfather Han’s beloved spacecraft; a “Star Wars” book.

15 THE GUERNSEY LITERARY AND POTATO PEEL PIE SOCIETY, by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. (Dial, $22.) A journalist meets the island’s old Nazi resisters. 12

16* THE OTHER QUEEN, by Philippa Gregory. (Touchstone, $25.95.) The captivity of Mary, Queen of Scots.


No comments: