Friday, September 05, 2008

A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN - why didn't I read this sooner?

So I was visiting my friend Deirdre and her family the other day. In the middle of the conversation, she handed me a copy of A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN by Betty Smith and asked me if I had read it before. I told her no, and so she said it was a really good book and I could have it if I wanted. You know me, I never turn down a free book. So I said yes, thank you. Her 3 year old son Lucas took the book and hid it under a pillow while we were talking. I almost left without the book, but D ran after me as I headed to the car...book in hand. I thanked her again.

AND OH...What a pleasure it was! This book tells the story of a young girl growing up in Brooklyn in the early 1900s. It was a slow read, but it captured the moments of Francie Nolan and her family absolutely perfectly. I remember having this book on my reading list growing up, but I guess I was never was interested in reading it. I am glad Deirdre passed it along. I give it 5 of 5 stars. A new favorite on my list.


No comments: