Saturday, September 06, 2008

A few purchases add to my sad little reading list

So I was waiting for my friend Jen to get out of her classes at Hunter College so we could go see a movie Friday Night. We went to go see Hamlet 2 (I owe Jen 2 hours of her life back). Anyway...I stopped into the local bookstore and picked up a few books to read.

One was a no brainer - THE SECRET by Rhonda Byrne. I have been meaning to get this book for months. I paid premium book store price for it, but I thought if it works, it will be worth it. I'll let you know if it works in the next few months.



The second book was GASPIPE: CONFESSIONS OF A MAFIA BOSS by Philip Carlo. Don't ask me why I bought it, I don't know. I am not sure if it was the cover, or the subject matter (the mafia) that made me do it. Also paid premium price for this book, but I figured after all the books I read for free, it wouldn't hurt to pay for a few.



Growing up on Staten Island, I've always been fascinated with the mob. I personally enjoyed the story of how this guy, Anthony Casso worked his way up to become the head of the Lucchese family and then turn a tragic government witness (AKA "Rat") in the hopes of protecting himself and family. Even though Casso tried to get himself a deal with all the information he gave the government, today he serves 455 years in prison in Colorado. All in all, this is a good read and I am sure will one day make a good movie. I give 3 1/2 out of 5 stars.

No comments: