Wednesday, October 17, 2007

WATER LIKE A STONE...SINKS

Mom and I went to Salem, and I got some bedtime reading in and I FINALLY finished WATER LIKE A STONE by Deborah Crombie. I'm not going to lie...it was a chore.

The book was chock full of characters and plot- A cop couple on holiday with family on the England countryside, a dead baby found by a female contractor on the verge of divorce, 2 spoiled snobby pot smoking teens, a boat-living family formerly accused of Muchausen Syndrome By Proxy, and a burnt out legally separated social worker who has taken to living on boats too.... Deborah tried to tie them all in together and create a mystery, but it was a stretch and a yawn. I have to give this book 2 of 5 stars.



Mom and I also checked off two cities in the 1,001 Places to visit: SALEM and BOSTON. Salem was a nice little town. We did a trolley ride, visited the HOUSE OF SEVEN GABLES (next on my purchase list) that inspired Nathaniel Hawthorne, who also wrote the SCARLET LETTER. We also participated in a witch trial...it was very interesting (pictures to come). In Boston, we did a DUCK TOUR and had dinner in the North End. It was really very nice. Looking forward to checking off more locations. Really want to get to Niagara Falls.




Almost finished with KITE RUNNER by Khaled Hosseini (this read only 3 days). FANTASTIC.

3 comments:

Erika said...

Okay, Niagara Falls didn't happen this year like I wanted, and it's too cold now to do it, BUT I'm putting it on my calendar for Memorial Day weekend next year. We're going to do this.

Also, look for a package of books coming your way. Sorry the Deb Crombie wasn't to your liking.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Barbara said...

Thanks Book Angel...keep em coming...even if I don't love them, they give me something to READ and talk about!