Friday, April 24, 2009

Chilly Chile!

Countdown: 12 days to Chile.
















As promised, I have been reading up on my pending home away from home. I've gotten a lot of info out of the Fodors book, which I had a chance to read pretty much cover to cover on Tuesday, when I was in NYC for a promising job interview at a major publisher and had lunch with my Book Angel (and good friend), Erika. I'll get back to NYC in a sec...but now, Chile.





Here's what else I learned thanks to my Fodor's Chile Book:

1) It is fall season in Chile in May. Temps will be chilly (between 50 and 60 degrees) Nice...right as NYC is starting to warm up. While I'm digging out my summer clothes for my next 12 days here, I'm throwing my winter clothes in a pile to get packed in my suitcase.

2) I need to go to the doctor to check my MMR boosters and get a Hep A shot. (I took care of this during this week. The Hep A shot cost $83 (not covered by insurance) and it is only the first shot in a series of two (the second shot comes in six months). The doctor said this was better than nothing. We'll see about that.

3) There is a nice park in Santiago, Chile where I can hike up (about an hour) and see the entire city. Views are great. Excercise is even better. I'm still doing Joy's Life Diet...my plan is to keep up the good work while I am away. Hopefully Chilleans don't love the fried food as much as I do.

4) I can use my cell phone for $1 a minute and $0.40 text messages. Or I can get my cell phone unlocked to get a local SIM card, which should save me money. (I went for the unlocked phone option). In the process of doing this, I found out I can get my blackberry unlocked by some random company for $30 Orrrr I could call T-Mobile and they would give me the code for free (Guess which option I chose?). In addition, in cleaning my condo, I found that I had not one, but two spare phones. So I think I may bring 2 phones. One for local (Chile) calls and one for emergency (US Calls). I can thank God right now my mother is not a chatterbox and doesn't need to talk to me every day.

5) I think I am going to have to rent a car or fly to some of the other places I want to see in Chile. I know the Sisters plan to send me to Ovalle, but I also want to see the wineries and other locations up North. I'll have to check out the bank accounts when I get there.

My spanish...es muy malo
I am also working on my Rosetta Stone studies. I try to get an hour or two in a day. I went to B&N today, because I have been spending way too much time on TV lately. They have free electricity and nice chairs there, so I parked myself in front of a window and got down to business.

I am now on Level 2...and after talking to the "no hablo ingles" Domincan guy, Roberto, at the gym, I realize I am in big trouble. There are so may words I just don't know. It is hard to have a conversation when you are stuck on simple things like telling someone where you live.

And my mom and I had a funny (or not so funny) conversation on the ferry today. I'm allergic to Yellow Jackets. If I get stung, its lights out for me, unless I get to a hospital. My face swells, my throat closes up, and I can't breathe. In the past my doctor wouldn't give me a prescription for the shot I need to save my life, because she said it was better to just get to the hospital and that in most cases, how often would I be that far away from a hospital??? And honestly, I am lucky if I have my keys every day. Chances of me carrying this thing around is slim to none on the day I get stung. Well, my new doctor gave me the prescription for the trip.

Here's the funny part...How do you say "Yellow Jacket" in spanish? "abrigo amarillo"??? I don't think so.





If I get stung, I don't have a lot of time...I need to give myself the shot, get to the hospital and hope that I don't pass out from lack of oxegyn. "Ayudame!!! Abrigo Amarillo" will be my choking words. I guess I can be thankful it is fall in Chile and los abrigos amarillos will be out of season.







A minor side note: Adding to my Before you Die NYC List:

1) Go to a Jazz show at Dizzy's Club Coca Cola located in the Time Warner Building at Columbus Circle. So the price for a show is $35 plus $10 min for a drink. When you add a drink and food and tax and tip, you get a bill around $80 per person min...Now, yes this is expensive, and you could do it a little cheaper (eat somewhere else...and just get one drink). But the view of Central Park and the music was something else. Definitely recommend for a night out.

2) Visit the New York Public Library (and the bathroom at Bryant Park) Fifth Avenue at 42nd Street, 10018-2788.917-ASK-NYPL (917-275-6975) First of all, this library is beautiful on the inside and the outside. The lions have been a fascination to me ever since I saw them come to life in the WIZ (see 1:14 for the Library Lion in clip below).





Ahhh...just watched the DVD trailer not as fascinating as I remember, but give me a break, I was just a little kid. Anwyay, this is a NYC landmark. You have to see it.

When you are done looking around, go downstairs to the basement, go out the side door, and walk towards 6th Avenue.There is a public rest room outside the library right where Bryant Park begins on 42nd street. It is the CLEANEST public bathroom I have ever been to. It has flowers in it and everything. I swear...its amazing. A wonder of the world. You have to see it for yourself.



Then go to the park, sit and relax and take a seat and do some people-watching. Its the the most fun thing to do in NYC, and best of all, its FREE!!!

2 comments:

Erika said...

I have a weird image of you calling for help and having strangers throw their yellow jackets on you to cover you...let's hope that doesn't happen : )

events license said...

Cool pictures!!