Monday, April 13, 2009

Focus on: Chile

Well, work ends for me on Wednesday and then I begin a new chapter in my life.

I'm not going to lie...I am sad to be laid off. You can't help but feeling a little rejected. How did I make the cut and other people get to stay? Why me? Why anyone? But you know what, I can't be bothered with these bad thoughts. They are counter-productive. I choose to find a bright side. EVERYTHING happens for a reason.

It definately helps that as far as layoffs go (this was my second one), this one was fairly pleasant. They gave me six weeks notice, an okay severance, and I couldn't ask for a better time of year. I'll be getting my tax refund and can enjoy some nice weather, while I collect unemployment and job hunt with the rest of the country.

But first, I'm going to Santiago, Chile. That's right. I'm going. I need a change. I am going to recharge and I'm going to speak Spanish if it kills me.


View Larger Map

So if you are wondering what I will be reading for the next few weeks, I can tell you with 100% certianty, it won't be about Elvis. Thanks to another publishing friend (aka Book Angel #3) I'm reading Chile - Culture Smart!: a quick guide to customs and etiquette and Fodor's Chile, 4th Edition: Including Argentine Patagonia



So far, I learned the following:
1) There is no time difference between NYC and Chile.
2) Never show up on time, as nobody will be expecting you, but be punctual the first time, just in case.
3) Lunch is the main meal of the day and dinner is between 8 and 9pm. "Once" is the period between lunch and dinner you have a little snack.
4) Chileans love their grilled meat and seafood.
5) Water is okay to drink in Santiago, but have bottled water in rural areas.
6) Tipping is 10%
7) Men like to stare at women.
8) Drinks can be very strong so be careful.

Clearly...I have more to read. But its a start.



No comments: