Monday, July 16, 2007

Snapfish - Customer Service Saved the day!

I wanted to create a book memorializing my grandparents and have it ready for their ash spreading ceremony in June. I planned to have one copy of the book there for people to look at their leisure. A personal copy would be sent to their homes a week after the ceremony.

Everything was going smoothly. I had come up with a final version of the book that I was proud of and had placed an order about 10 days before the ceremony. In the past I had recieved Snapfish books within 3 days of processing the order. I was sure I had ordered with enough time to spare. After 5 days...I started to get nervous.

After 7 days I called Snapfish . The Customer Service rep was very nice. He told me that the book should be there by Saturday (the day of the ceremony). I explained that it would be too late, that we needed the book for an ash spreading ceremony for my Grandparents. He assured me the book was on its way. I didn't know what else to do, so I thanked him for his help and decided to hope that the book would show up on Friday.

Friday...the book showed up, but not the one I had ordered. Rather it was a copy that the Customer Service Rep had reordered for me and sent next day mail. He saved the day. I was so touched that I actually wrote a letter thanking Snapfish for going the extra step. (The book I ordred did show up, but not in time for the ceremony.) I hope he was rewarded.

Since then, I've received several thank you letters from family for putting the book together. It was a very interesting and emotional project for me. For one, I felt like my grandfather was helping put the book together. All the photos were scanned on his computer and he had written accounts of their life that helped tie the book together. The photos he scanned even had captions that helped me organize the book. All I had to do was upload them to Snapfish ...and do some "minor formatting". Secondly, when I asked everyone in the family to send me their memories of Grandma and Grandpa to include in the book, I found that not all family members were willing to contribute. I was surprised to get emails back telling me they couldn't think of anything to write. At first I thought they were being difficult and couldn't understand why they wouldn't participate. I even thought they were against my making the book. I asked my mother whether we should even send a copy to them...maybe they wouldln't want it. She insisted that we should. She was right. It turns out the one who was the most emotional and appreciative for the book was the one who wouldn't contribute.


What I learned:
1) There are good people out there who care. That Customer Service rep really made my day.
2) Not everyone feels the same way I do...we can all experience the same event, but it touches each of us in a different way. And some people are better at expressing their feelings than others. Other people like to keep their feelings to themselves. That's okay.
3)I also learned that if you have people in your life that are important to you, you should spend time with them TODAY. I can't even tell you how many times in putting together the book I wished that I could ask my grandfather or grandmother a question about a photo or experience he had. I should have done it before. I guess I always thought they would be there.
2) I think My grandparents are still with me...they are just angels now.

No comments: