Saturday, August 11, 2007

What a Blessing: THE BIG BOOK OF WOMEN SAINTS by Sarah Gallick

Here's a book written by a friend of mine (and a former coworker from BookSpan), Sarah Gallick. The book published back in April. I've been meaning to write about it for some time, but it is not the type of book you read in one sitting. I like to keep it by the bedside and pick it up now and again for inspiration.

Sarah had been talking about this book for a few years and I couldn't wait for her to finish. The topic of saints always interested me simply based on the amount of work it takes for a person to be canonized. It is quite a process. I love reading stories about people who were not always perfect, but somehow were touched by god and make a lasting impact on humanity (usually, but not always through martyrdom).

Its quite a lovely book. There on 365 woman saints to read about. One for every day. Each page highlights a saint, provides the back story, and interesting factoid, as well as a quote for reflection. Its a easy way to find inspiration when you need it most. I've bought it for several friends as gifts. It would also be a great confirmation gift. I highly recommend (and I am not just saying that becuase Sarah is a friend of mine) I mean it. I give it 5 of 5 stars.




On a side note: I had dinner with Sarah and another friend of ours, Ellen Clark, at a FANTASTIC place in Downtown Manhattan on Stone Street called Adrienne's Pizza Bar. When I say fantastic, I mean fantastic. I am from Staten Island, it is very rare that I am impressed by pizza anywhere else. This pizza is TO DIE FOR. The street was adorable. Check out Citysearch for more info.

No comments: