Monday, July 30, 2007

Dolly's Book - Just a few more chapters to go!

I've been working with Dolly for over 6 months now. When I first started going to her house, she had pads and pads of chapters to type. I knew it was a big job, but the process was slower than I expected, because I soon learned that there was almost never a chance that I could get away with going to her house without at least one hour of her reading or talking to me, and/or giving me a life lesson (dieting, gambling, dating, fighting or self-defense) to think about.

My favorite day with Dolly was when she called me and asked me to lunch. I told her that I was going to lunch with my friend Jen from High School, and that Jen wanted to help type the book. (Jen was anxious to get a glimpse at the story and I knew Dolly would be happy to know that she wanted to help.) Dolly told me to bring Jen to lunch too. Her treat. Dolly ends the conversation with, "But do me a favor...I want to go to a nice Italian place for lunch." I ask her where she wanted to go, but she has no suggestion.

I pick Jen up at her house at around 12:00 and ask her about "nice Italian places" on the way to Dolly's. Jen names a few, but I know they won't meet Dolly's standards. We pick up Dolly and she is all smiles. I tell her where I thought we should go, and she says..."No, that place is no good. I know a place - Bella Mama's"

We go to Bella Mama's and Jen orders Lasagna, I order Eggplant Rollatini and Dolly orders a steak. We eat the bread and a salad, and then the food comes out. Half way through the meal, Dolly says that she should have ordered the Lasagna. She calls the waiter over, says "Take this Steak back. Bring me Lasagna." The waiter shrugs his shoulders, and 15 minutes later comes out with the Lasagna. Jen and I have already finished our meal and we are stuffed. Dolly tells us we have to eat more. We order coffee and dessert. Now we are really stuffed.

The bill comes and the steak is not included. Dolly calls over the waiter and says " I'm not paying this bill until you put the Steak back on." The waiter says, "but you didn't eat it." Dolly raises her voice, "Yes, I ate it. Put it on the bill." He looks at me, and I mouth "Just put it on." As Dolly pulls her purse out of her bra, Jen and I offer to pay. Dolly says, "Get out of here." When we offer to pay the tip, she says "What are you talking about! What is wrong with you...pay the Tip?" We finish "Lunch" at 3:00.


Back at Dolly's, Jen gets to read the first 8 chapters of Dolly's book. Dolly and I sit across from her watching her read and shake her head in amazement. Dolly keeps asking Jen if she likes it. Jen says, "yes...it is amazing!" Dolly smiles and giggles at Jen's reaction. When Jen finally makes a comment, she gets yelled at..."What do you mean more details!?!!! That's what happened. That's all I can write! You don't get it." I try to defend Jen, but then I get yelled at. Dolly leaves the room and I laugh with Jen that it is just like High School. Jen got yelled at again later in the evening for something similar. I didn't defend her this time. I told her she was on her own.

Around 6:00pm, Dolly tells us that we are eating over for dinner. Jen and I tell her that we can't, we are full. Dolly tells us that we have to eat...her daughter cooked for us. We sit at the table with Dolly's family, and our plates are piled with food. Dolly has nothing in front of her. I say, "Dolly, aren't you eating?" She says, "What are you crazy? I'm not eating. I had a big lunch. I'm full."

Over time, I have managed to put 18 very colorful chapters on the computer...Each one surprises me and gives me more insight into her character. It usually takes me about 3 hours to type a chapter, so that's over 54 hours of fingers to the keyboard. Dolly says we only have a few more chapters to go. (Dolly also promises that we have plenty of material for a sequel. Hopefully we'll need her to do one.) Then we proofread, make corrections and start shopping the book around.

I am really excited. First to see the book finally completed...something that Dolly has been talking about for years. When I told Dolly's husband that she said the book was going to be finished in June, he said, "Oh yeah, What year?" Then I am just excited to see what happens with it. I would love to see it take off.

All my life, I have been reading and reviewing books. Now I am getting ready to go on the other side and try to sell one to the publishers. This is as good as it gets.

No comments: